FAQ Admissions
FAQ Admissions






Q- Do I need to make an appointment to surrender my pet?

A- Yes, appointments are required to surrender your pet. Admission hours for surrender are 10 am to 6 pm. Please call 386-274-4703 ext. 323 or email admissions@halifaxhumanesociety.org


Q- If I find a stray dog on the street, do I need to make an appointment to bring them to the shelter?

A- No, strays can be brought to the shelter from 10 am to 6 pm. If you find a stray animal outside of these hours, call 386-299-6309 to make arrangements to bring the animal to the shelter. 


Q- What type of animals do you accept at the shelter?

A- Dogs, domesticated cats, domesticated rabbits, domesticated rats, guinea pigs, potbelly pigs, birds, iguanas, hamsters, ferrets, and hedgehogs.

Animals we do not accept are horses, cows, or other livestock. Fish or aquatic animals, poisonous snakes, raccoons, opossums, bears, wild boars, and other animals that are considered to be wild.


Q- Can I bring you a feral cat that I caught in my backyard?

A- We advise residents to contact their local Animal Control agency to have feral cats trapped and brought to be spay/neutered. CCFAW.org is also a resource for TNR services. www.ccfaw.org Please be aware that cats trapped for TNR (trapped, neuter, return), will be returned from where they were trapped so they can rejoin their colony.

Q- Is there a fee to surrender my pet?

A- No, there is no required fee, but donations are encouraged. Appointments are required to surrender your pet. Email admissions@halifaxhumanesociety.org to request an appointment. Please consider every possible option before surrendering your pet. If you are having difficult times financially, we can help provide pet food until you recover. Tell us the reason for surrendering, and maybe we can help you keep your beloved best friend.


Q- Will you come to my home and catch a feral cat?

A- No, we are not animal control or a TNR (trap, neuter, return) organization that is sanctioned and licensed by the county to trap animals. These organizations bring the animals to us for spay/neuter services. Contact your local Animal Control agency. They are typically part of your local police department.


Q – Do you provide end-of-life services?

A – We do this by appointment. All appointments are required to bring medical records showing ownership of the pet. We have various cremation packages available for purchase at the time of the service. As of 2/21/2022, we are no longer offering stay with end-of-life services due to a lack of certified euthanasia technicians.

If you are in need of emergency euthanasia end-of-life services, please contact one of these emergency veterinary clinics.

VECEV (386) 761-1911 2410 S. Ridgewood Ave., South Daytona FL 32119

Animal Emergency Hospital Volusia (386) 252-0206 696 S Yonge St, Ormond Beach, FL 32174

Volusia Animal Emergency Clinic (386) 252-4300 3500 W. International Speedway Blvd, Daytona Beach, FL.