Special Events Manager
Position Details: Use your creativity, passion and event planning knowledge to help promote an award-winning animal shelter located in Daytona Beach, Florida. The city known for "The World's Most Famous Beach". The Halifax Humane Society is seeking an outgoing and energetic candidate with proven event planning and superior organizational skills. The ideal candidate is well versed in fundraising tactics and can strategically implement special events, special promotions and social functions to further advance our mission. This position is responsible for creating plans and events that strengthen the relationship between donors (private and or corporate) and the society, executing them and achieving measurable results. Candidate must have documented experience/training in customer service, project management and time management. Candidate must be comfortable with personally soliciting new and or current event sponsors in efforts to secure in-kind donations and auction items through phone calls and face-to-face meetings. The Special Events Manager is responsible for managing events and ensuring deadlines and budgets are adhered to. Directs coordination of activities to prepare for the day of the event.
About Halifax Humane Society: The Halifax Humane Society is a 501 (c) (3) private nonprofit organization servicing the Greater Daytona Beach area in Volusia County, Florida. Halifax Humane Society was founded in 1937.
- Bachelor's degree and or minimum of 3 years marketing, communications and event planning experience required
-Excellent customer service skills
-Excellent written and verbal communication skills
-Strong computer skills and database management
-Proficiency in Publisher and MS Office; Word, Excel, Outlook
-Knowledge of Blackbaud e-Tapestry and Sphere is a major plus
-Experience with social media platforms
-Experience with CRM platforms
-Experience working in a non-profit is a plus
-Able to work successfully in both individual and team situations
-Must be self-motivated and a superstar multitasker
-Able to present and secure new/renewed sponsorship and event contracts
-Great organization and attention to detail
-Cheerful, positive attitude is a must
-This position requires honesty, reliability and confidentiality
-Must possess and maintain a valid Florida driver's license
-Employment is contingent based on successful passing of drug screening
Compensation & Work Schedule: Halifax Humane Society offers a salary range starting at $35,000, professional development, and other great benefits including retirement, health, dental plans and animal adoption discounts. This is a full time position that reports to the Chief Financial Development Officer.
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
How to apply: Please e-mail cover letter, resume and salary requirements to MichaelU@HalifaxHumaneSociety.org or fax to 386-267-0651. Resumes with no cover letter will not be accepted. No phone calls please.
Essential Duties and Functions
Provide quality customer service to clients, volunteers and co-workers while actively promoting the Society’s mission, services, programs and events.
Manage volunteer database including timely and accurate data entry, changes, phone append updates, coding and overall database credibility and maintenance.
Coordinates and administers all volunteer programs making sure all aspects of the training are in accordance with the organization’s mission and philosophy. Enhances and maintains on-going relationships through orientations, trainings, newsletters, updates on shelter activities and special projects.
Maintains professionalism of volunteers by providing training and motivation on a team climate.
Researches, develops and updates programs to maintain and encourage viable volunteer participation. Assures quality programs through the use of valid evaluation techniques.
Develops program timelines, procedures and goals. Schedules orientations. Maintains volunteer records and database noting special skills and interests.
Plans and leads HHS PAWS Summer Camp alongside the Animal Behavior Manager. Creates activities, organizes volunteers, and supervises the camp as necessary.
Assists with other departments and programs within the organization in administering and planning special projects and events.
Seeks opportunities to promote the organization and humane education concepts at community events.
Assists with all applications related to the HHS Newsletter as assigned by the Community Outreach Director, i.e. solicitation for advertising, content, mailing process, distribution locations, etc.
High school diploma or equivalent. Prefer the completion of a bachelor’s degree at an accredited college or university and computer training or experience.
Any acceptable combination of education, training and/or experience in a supervisory role helpful.
Must be willing to work both independently and as a team.
The ability to deal with a diverse public on the telephone and in person is required.
Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
Professional in appearance and behavior. Positive attitude a must.
Must possess a valid and unrestricted Florida driver’s license with a clean DMV record for the past 3 years.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Experience with a volunteer management database system preferred.
Direct mail experience a plus.
Demonstrated knowledge of supervisor techniques for volunteers, motivation and decision-making techniques. Skill in teaching and mediating disputes and solving problems.
Demonstrated program management knowledge to include budgeting principles.
Demonstrated interpersonal relationship skills to include building alliances with volunteers and community organizations.
The ability to work compassionately with animals that may be fractious and possibly attempt to bite or scratch.
Must have or develop a firm understanding of humane issues and the policies of the Society with the ability to clearly present this information to volunteers and while at public events.
Excellent organizational skills; ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
Computer skills in a Windows environment preferred including Word, Excel, Power Point and PetPoint.
Compensation & Work Schedule: Halifax Humane Society offers a salary range starting at $20,800 and up based on experience, as well as professional development, and other great benefits including retirement, health, dental plans and animal adoption discounts. This is a full time position that reports to the Community Outreach Director.
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
How to apply: Please e-mail cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to tstover@HalifaxHumaneSociety.org. No phone calls please.
Join our team as an Animal Care Specialist.
Seeking individuals that will be responsible for the compassionate care of animals and hospital style cleaning of kennels and facility, basic animal handling and socialization, evaluating animal's behaviors, monitoring health issues, computer data entry and customer service. No previous issues with poor attendance or punctuality. References will be checked.
Experience in animal care is not mandatory but highly preferred. Experience in custodial, customer service or computer skills an absolute plus! Clear background, drug testing and drug free workplace expected of all candidates.
Please apply in person at 2364 LPGA Blvd, Daytona Beach, Fl 32124. Resume attachments are welcome but the application must be filled out entirely.
Formal Description Below:
Position Title: Animal Care Specialist
Department: Animal Care Department
Classification: Full-time, Non-Exempt
Reports To: Intake/Adoption Manager
Work Hours: Typically 40-hours, this position has varying working days and hours depending on scheduling needs.
Performs technical and routine animal care and other related duties at the animal shelter. The work involves giving vaccinations, cleaning and maintaining kennel areas, and performing related shelter duties. Animal Care Specialists possess Florida State Certification that permits them to euthanize animals. Workers carry out daily assignments, follow through on matters using independent judgment and training to take appropriate actions when dealing with standard recurring situations.
Essential Duties and Functions
• Provide adequate food and water to shelter animals daily.
• Monitor animals and immediately report health or behavior abnormalities to supervisor.
• Participate in stress and disease reduction efforts through purposeful and compassionate handling and placement of animals in the shelter environment.
• Perform animal bathing and basic grooming.
• Assist with animal intake, evaluation and treatment.
• Euthanasia Certified staff perform euthanasia services.
• Create and maintain necessary animal records, perform data entry.
• Follow established disease control protocols to daily clean, disinfect and maintain shelter kennels, cages and general areas.
• Operate laundry and cleaning equipment.
• Restock cleaning areas with supplies and equipment.
• Maintain equipment in working condition, report equipment or supply needs to supervisor.
• Maintain work and general areas in an organized manner.
• Represents HHS well by providing good customer service.
• Knows, understands and follows procedures and policies of the Halifax Humane Society.
• Maintain and promote a positive public image standard relevant to HHS.
• Help promote fundraising activities and solicit support of the agency overall.
• Attend and participate in departmental and shelter meetings. Attend educational venues as recommended/approved.
• Work cooperatively with all volunteers, recognizing the talent and commitment they bring to the society.
• Interact with co-workers and volunteers in an efficient and courteous manner to ensure a cooperative team environment amongst all departments.
• Ensure a safe work environment, following all safety guidelines and modeling safe work practice.
• Take immediate action to address any safety concerns that could put a staff member, volunteer, client, animal or the organization at risk.
• Report any safety hazards or unsafe use of HHS equipment to supervisor immediately.
• Performs other duties as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty in a satisfactory manner. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• High school diploma or equivalent. Prefer the completion of a two or four year veterinary technician program at an accredited college or university with computer training or experience.
• Course concentration in animal welfare or familiarity with animal diseases and behavior preferred.
• Efficiency and expediency is required to fulfill required responsibilities.
• Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel software and PetPoint program is a plus.
• Available to work weekends, holiday shifts and overtime as needed.
• Must possess a valid and unrestricted Florida driver's license with a clean DMV record for the past 3 years.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• General knowledge of pet behavior and care. Ability to work with all kinds of animals in a safe and responsible manner.
• This position requires an individual who can cope with the stress of euthanasia.
• Ability to obtain Florida Euthanasia Certification.
• Good work ethic and attentive to details.
• Sound judgment and ability to exercise complete discretion when dealing with confidential information.
• The ability to work compassionately and humanely with animals that may be fractious and possibly attempt to bite or scratch.
• Quick reflexes and familiarity with animals are helpful to avoid injury.
• Knowledgeable and sympathetic to the principles, purposes and objectives of a humane organization.
• Extreme flexibility and adaptability, a strong work ethic and an ability to accommodate broad responsibilities and shifting priorities.
• Must be able to work at a fast pace with a significant amount of walking throughout the day between the various buildings as needed.
• Must be able to respond quickly to emergencies.
• Computer skills in a Windows environment preferred including Word, Excel, Power Point and PetPoint.
Must have the ability to multi task, prioritize and handle high levels of stress. Position requires excellent organizational skills, as well as high level of accuracy and attention to detail. Must be dependable, have proven ability to meet deadlines and follow detailed instructions without need of constant support.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Work is performed in a kennel/shelter setting and outdoors. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to frequently reach with hands and arms. The employee is required to stand, walk, sit, stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.